All new and returning Nitartha students are welcome to attend the Mahamudra Shamatha course. Please note that prior to the 2020 Summer Institute, Mahamudra shamatha students are required to read and study The Progressive Stages on the Meditation of Emptiness by Khenpo Tsültrim Gyamtso Rinpoche (available at the Nalanda Store). The Open Door to Emptiness by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche is a recommended reading.
You are eligibile to take this course if you:
- have completed both sessions of Mahamudra Shamatha at a previous Summer Institute, or
- have taken one session of Mahamudra Shamatha at a previous Summer Institute and you finish the Mahamudra Shamatha course by taking the Pre-summer Online Mahamudra Shamatha course (required). Click here for information about pre-summer courses, or
- have received some Mahamudra teachings from a Mahamudra teacher and have done some Mahamudra practice prior to the Summer Institute, or
- are formal student of Acharya Lama Tenpa Gyaltsen and have done 1 of the 5 Progressive stages of Meditation on Emptiness, or
- have attended at least 1 “Chinese-style” 7-10 day retreat, or
- are a Nalandabodhi student who has completed the Nalandabodhi Mahamudra shamatha curriculum.
It is highly recommended that all Mahamudra Vipashyana-I students complete 100 hours of Mahamudra shamatha practice before the 2020 Summer Institute.